Sharing my Chinese Ranchu developement.

Trickster

Sharing my Chinese Ranchu developement.

Post by Trickster » Wed Nov 28, 2012 5:03 pm

The two bigger ones were bought about 6mths earlier. There are attacking my homemade gel food.. 15/10/11
[
5 mths later, still eating the same gel food..21/3/12

And Now, still the 4 originals being moved outdoors in same tank/filtration and getting sunlight for the very first time. One has gone stupid, while another is turning Apache...is it possible?

LauLanChu
Former Staff Member

Re: Sharing my Chinese Ranchu developement.

Post by LauLanChu » Wed Nov 28, 2012 5:45 pm

Good development. Not sure what do you mean by 'gone stupid', always on surface looking at the sky?

For black ranchu you need a heater to maintain constant temp, day time hot and at night cool and the white stuff on the body would form.
LauLanChu

Redhill Seng
FAIRY
FAIRY

Post by Redhill Seng » Thu Nov 29, 2012 4:24 pm

Hi, they all looking good. What's their size now ? :D

Trickster

Post by Trickster » Thu Nov 29, 2012 8:34 pm

LauLanChu wrote:Good development. Not sure what do you mean by 'gone stupid', always on surface looking at the sky?

For black ranchu you need a heater to maintain constant temp, day time hot and at night cool and the white stuff on the body would form.
Thanks, I'm pretty happy with them. "gone stupid" I mean she doesn't eat at the bottom together with the rest but chose to gulp all over the place at the top, so I have to do hand feeding otherwise she is not able to get any food but when I do that she would just take one bite and scramble away to the furthest corner, very annoying.
She started off as the biggest but due to her lower tail setting and shorter tail length, she already started to swim a bit tumbling, like a speed boat overturning in the first vid.

I've been keeping them inside for 2 winters already, one with heater and one winter without. The result were all the same, white stuff (small white patches, not wen growth) appeared from time to time. So I don't think heater and constant temps can do much. What I notice too, that my other r/w ranchu and orandas in ponds also has these white stuffs. The only thing is, they are not so predominant due to their color contrast. Do you agree that they are quite black for Chinese ranchus not exposed to sunlight?
Redhill Seng wrote:Hi, they all looking good. What's their size now ? :D
Hi Seng, thanks, aiya I never measure them b4 lah. I'll let you know later. :mrgreen:

Redhill Seng
FAIRY
FAIRY

Post by Redhill Seng » Fri Nov 30, 2012 10:38 am

hi Trickster, i like the "apache". What's your current water level you are keeping them ?

LauLanChu
Former Staff Member

Post by LauLanChu » Fri Nov 30, 2012 12:20 pm

Possibly that fish has a unique characteristic. Try changing environment and observe.

Another reason I found for this white patching stuffs is the water is not too clean. From what I know black also needs very clean water. For some reasons (maybe hermanto can attest) the 'black' color is sort of like a coating layer on the scale and the reaction of the pigments to surrounding is kind of different from those of shiny scales.

Yes, the chinese fish indeed has very dense black color. One look I thought is a Thai blackie.
LauLanChu

Trickster

Post by Trickster » Sun Dec 02, 2012 2:42 pm

Redhill Seng wrote:hi Trickster, i like the "apache". What's your current water level you are keeping them ?
Current size smaller ones ~9cm, the rest 11-12 cm. water depth 33cm, tank cap. 130L, DIY OHF box with pump cap 2500L/hr. :mrgreen:
LauLanChu wrote:Possibly that fish has a unique characteristic. Try changing environment and observe.

Another reason I found for this white patching stuffs is the water is not too clean. From what I know black also needs very clean water. For some reasons (maybe hermanto can attest) the 'black' color is sort of like a coating layer on the scale and the reaction of the pigments to surrounding is kind of different from those of shiny scales.

Yes, the chinese fish indeed has very dense black color. One look I thought is a Thai blackie.
I moved them outdoors since about 3 weeks ago, now trying to groom them all to about same size. Haha, I only do w/c once a week, max. amount with fish inside. I only maintain good water parameters but not sure whether they are "clean". I know they will get pale very quickly if surrounding changes from dark to suddenly bright and also if water parameters are bad and they get stressed. So now they are in a much brighter area than b4 but with wall algae and sunlight, so less see. Will report back in a few month's time if they don't go up lorry first.

An extract from Practical Fishkeeping magazine. I find this interesting
"As goldfish age, their colour can change and they often become whiter, although the rate of this varies from fish to fish and I currently have a three year old Ranchu that is getting redder!

However, black is a different story as in twin- or tri-coloured goldfish, black is not a dominant colour gene and will often disappear over a period of time. Heat seems to play a part in this and the warmer the fish are kept the quicker the black colouration can disappear".
Any thoughts?

LauLanChu
Former Staff Member

Post by LauLanChu » Mon Dec 03, 2012 12:23 pm

I only know black needs alot of sunlight, others I supposed is secondary. One thing I noticed is once the fish started to lose its black due to bad surrounding, later on if you want to get it back is very difficult. Therefore for young small blackie it is always good to expose to maximum sunlight if possible. Once it is charcol black, it seems the black can stay longer even in not so good conditions.
LauLanChu

ahtan
WHALE
WHALE

Post by ahtan » Mon Dec 03, 2012 5:08 pm

ha ha ...black ranchu from China tend to change color....not as stable as Thai.

good development!!!

cheers,
jason.

Trickster

Post by Trickster » Thu Nov 28, 2013 4:58 pm

ahtan wrote:ha ha ...black ranchu from China tend to change color....not as stable as Thai.

good development!!!

cheers,
jason.
Thanks Jason, I think you won't come here anymore as you've hung up your tanks/tub liao. :mrgreen:
All my blackies are still kicking, here an update on two of them, one has turned nearly completely gold, only tip of tail and inside her mouth remained black. :D

ahtan
WHALE
WHALE

Post by ahtan » Thu Nov 28, 2013 5:21 pm

ha ha ha....black gold!!! :dance:

pijulrs

Post by pijulrs » Thu Nov 28, 2013 7:16 pm

Its hard to keep chinese black goldfish remain black...it will change to red gold or red white at the later stage.
Im a fish kichi...

LauLanChu
Former Staff Member

Post by LauLanChu » Fri Nov 29, 2013 12:16 pm

Seems that one is quite permanent. Not sure what is the triggering factor that make it change as I believe all are kept in same conditions and fed the same food.
LauLanChu

Trickster

Post by Trickster » Fri Nov 29, 2013 4:01 pm

They have been outdoors for more than a year with a few hours of afternoon sun, plenty of wall algae for them to munch whole day. I've been feeding them the same old gel food and pellets with no color enhancers at all, so I think cannot be food. I only do w/cs once a week to the max with fish inside and scrubbed tank once a month doing 100% w/cs.
It'll be interesting to see whether the other three also will change color. Imo it's not just Chinese blackies that changes color but most other ranchus also changes color in some form or another. I've some that are going thru' very prominent color changes too. Like r/w became totally white and gold with just head became all lemon. Most occurs after 2 yrs old, usually the head color are affected the most....interesting phenomenon but I'll not be breeding these as keeping Blackies are a pain. :mrgreen:

LauLanChu
Former Staff Member

Post by LauLanChu » Fri Nov 29, 2013 4:06 pm

They look nice no matter the color.
LauLanChu