Aquarama 2015 - Open Class

This folder discusses about the rest of the goldfish varieties (Bubble Eye, Celestial eye, Wakin, Jikin, etc ...)
wolverine
Administrator
Administrator

Aquarama 2015 - Open Class

Post by wolverine » Sun May 31, 2015 2:21 am

For beginner, Open Class means all other varieties that are not fall on the main few popular varieties.

These varieties are usually, bubble eye, ranchu with dorsal fin, jinkin.
There are many more varieties, but these are the usually the one that is in the competition.

CATEGORY A

It is fun that sometime, how a ranchu with dorsal would look like a oranda (especially, a short body, short tail oranda)

Likewise, strictly saying, Jinkin are white body with unique tail fin. But nowadays, breeders are producing beautiful wakin with very similar or even exact tail fin of the Jinkin. Based on my personal experience, i feel that Jinkin has a distinct head shape which is different from Wakin.
Attachments
CatA C7 3a.jpg
Category A; Class 7 (Jinkin/Wakin) Third
CatA C7 3a.jpg (105.06 KiB) Viewed 1615 times
CatA C7 3.jpg
Category A; Class 7 (Jinkin/Wakin) Third
CatA C7 3.jpg (95.52 KiB) Viewed 1615 times
CatA C7 2a.jpg
Category A; Class 7 (ranchu with dorsal) Second
CatA C7 2a.jpg (117.27 KiB) Viewed 1615 times
CatA C7 2.jpg
Category A; Class 7 (ranchu with dorsal) Second
CatA C7 2.jpg (104.04 KiB) Viewed 1615 times
CatA C7 1a.jpg
Category A; Class 7 (ranchu with dorsal) First
CatA C7 1a.jpg (147.47 KiB) Viewed 1615 times
CatA C7 1.jpg
Category A; Class 7 (ranchu with dorsal) First
CatA C7 1.jpg (101.41 KiB) Viewed 1615 times

wolverine
Administrator
Administrator

Re: Aquarama 2015 - Open Class

Post by wolverine » Sun May 31, 2015 2:25 am

CATEGORY B
Attachments
CatB C6 3a.jpg
Category B; Class 6 (Pompom) Third
CatB C6 3a.jpg (116.53 KiB) Viewed 1614 times
CatB C6 3.jpg
Category B; Class 6 (Pompom) Third
CatB C6 3.jpg (109.14 KiB) Viewed 1614 times
CatB C6 2a.jpg
Category B; Class 6 (Ranchu with dorsal) Second
CatB C6 2a.jpg (143.08 KiB) Viewed 1614 times
CatB C6 2.jpg
Category B; Class 6 (Ranchu with dorsal) Second
CatB C6 2.jpg (95 KiB) Viewed 1614 times
CatB C6 1a.jpg
Category B; Class 6 (Jinkin/Wakin) First
CatB C6 1a.jpg (118.66 KiB) Viewed 1614 times
CatB C6 1.jpg
Category B; Class 6 (Jinkin/Wakin) First
CatB C6 1.jpg (97.97 KiB) Viewed 1614 times

tosakin_fancier
DOLPHIN
DOLPHIN

Post by tosakin_fancier » Fri Jun 05, 2015 3:41 pm

Hi,

Regarding the jikins, i feel that most hobbyists and sellers would refer to the tail only. This is wrong. The body of a wakin would be slightly curved downwards towards the tail and the tail would be well spread horizontally like a tvr tail.

I have contacted a friend who imports Japanese Jikins from various farms, and some online friends too. Based on these encounters and my own experience, yes the Japanese would strictly say that Only 12 Reds are allowed to enter Competitions. But they did not Deny that those with No 12 Reds are not Jikins. They will look at the tail and the body. In my encounters, it was said that there are 2 types of jikin body. The long bodied jikins(more wakin like but lacking the curved downward aspect) and the Common Short Bodied Jikins (these are the original forms of jikins). The long bodied ones are relatively new and not quite popular right now. The Short Bodied jikins on the other have a rather compact body with a broad mid section (deep body ) and a well-splayed tail to the periphery. These are for the Japanese Jikins.

The Chinese Jikins...which are the Jikins shown above are China's own creations. Mostly are crossed with Wakins to give a hardier more resilient offspring. And these Chinese Jikins are increasing in the quality of the tail. Their tails have splayed almost like the Japanese ones but they sometimes lack the Body. This is if we compare with Short Bodied Jikins. BUT if we compare to a Long Bodied Jikins..all the physical aspects are similar. And The Japs that breed the Long bodied ones would still call them Jikins.

Just two cents from me. Based on my own experiences and own jikin-keeping.

Regards,
Hilmi hanapi
Kingyos..you rule my world!

wolverine
Administrator
Administrator

Post by wolverine » Fri Jun 05, 2015 5:29 pm

Another interesting write up from Hilmi.

So based on your experience, both entries are Chinese Jikins?
I have kept japanese jikin before too, but i remember they have flatter forehead, a bit like arowana head.
Nevertheless, i totally agree with you about the peduncle angle. Jikin is straight while wakin is slightly curve.
Personally, i feel that a "proper" Jikin should still be 12-red.

It would be interesting if we have the photo of the Chinese Jikin and the Japanese Jikin for comparison.

Now i am excited, do they export to Singapore?
How much, i suppose it is much cheaper than those from Japan?
Old habit dies hard, feel like buying........hahahaaaaaaaa

tosakin_fancier
DOLPHIN
DOLPHIN

Post by tosakin_fancier » Fri Jun 05, 2015 5:45 pm

Dear Mr.Steven,

Yes...since i have kept both...4 Chinese Jikins....and 2 Japanese Jikins...the Japs.their heads do look abit like that and accompanied with a slightly deep body (especially at the area right after the head).

The Chinese ones have normal heads...and some have slightly curved tail peduncle and some not. I have a video of them. I do not know whether they export to Sgp. But i did saw NK brought in a few Jikins a year bfore with Sarasa coloration. The only place i know that has quite Good Chinese Jikins are in Sarawak currently. My friend will send some to me. Haha......i will try to post some pics regarding the Jikins too.

Yes, i also would choose the 12 spots coloration than any other color although the Chinese hv invented Sakura Jikins...haha. I will post 2 videos...one is the Chinese Jikins (with good tail spread) and another is my own video of Jap Jikins.

Regards,
Hilmi hanapi

tosakin_fancier
DOLPHIN
DOLPHIN

Post by tosakin_fancier » Fri Jun 05, 2015 5:54 pm

Sorry ..accidentally pressed submit.
Last edited by tosakin_fancier on Fri Jun 05, 2015 5:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.

tosakin_fancier
DOLPHIN
DOLPHIN

Post by tosakin_fancier » Fri Jun 05, 2015 5:57 pm

Hi again,

Here are the vids. [bbvideo=560,315]https://youtu.be/jV-pRlvbW0U[/bbvideo]. [bbvideo=560,315]https://youtu.be/Xgo2BFAWRPE[/bbvideo]For the comparison pics...will need to take a few pics first..hehe. The one with a pair of jikins are the japanese ones.

Regards,
Hilmi hanapi

tosakin_fancier
DOLPHIN
DOLPHIN

Post by tosakin_fancier » Fri Jun 05, 2015 6:08 pm

But the Cat B Jikin looks like Japanese Jikins abit...its has the " Deep body"... .and very well splayed tail too..but need to go back to its family tree. There are some Chinese breeders that did not cross their Jikins with Wakins. But i do not what do they look like.