Advice on water management

AdamC
DOLPHIN
DOLPHIN

Advice on water management

Post by AdamC » Thu Apr 02, 2015 1:37 pm

Hi guys,
I have a somewhat tricky issue needing your input.

My setup:
180L tank, 3x1.5x1.5
Housing 6x Ranchu, 3x 6", 3x 3"

I'm running 3 filters total, 2x Eheim canister with combined FL of 1350l/hr, inlets at rear corners, outlet using spray bars. Also, there's an OHF rated at 600l/hr.
As with media, I use what comes with the Eheims, ceramic rings and coral chips inside the OHF underneath a coarse and then a fine filter wool.

Feeding: 1-2 times per day, alternate with FBW and presoaked pellets, to be consumed under 3-4 mins.

Issue: pH stays between 6.2-6.6, causing slight cloudy eyes to the larger fish and occasional rubbing. Also, low pH encourages growth of harmful bacteria, evidently on the walls of the tank. I've read that established bio filtration is prone to release a lot a acids into the water. The last time I serviced the canisters were 2 months and 3 months ago, respectively. I do them in separate months so as not to cause my nitro cycle to crash.
So, what are my options? Remove one canister to reduce bio filtration and hence acid production? I don't think my bio load is that high considering 30L/fish. And I'd prefer not having to do daily 25-30% WC to maintain pH between 6.8-7.2 range. All other water parameters are good.

AdamC
DOLPHIN
DOLPHIN

Re: Advice on water management

Post by AdamC » Thu Apr 02, 2015 2:00 pm

Additional info:
I'm aware the use of coral chips can help buffer water pH.
I put a handful in each of the canisters, as well as inside the OHF. I'm considering to drop a small bag ~500g inside the tank but have not done so. First, it is unsightly. Second, I have heard horror stories where the CC continued to dissolve when fully submerged in tank water, sending the pH to 7.8-8 range, causing pH burn to the fish. Any ideas from your prior experience?

wolverine
Administrator
Administrator

Post by wolverine » Thu Apr 02, 2015 7:47 pm

Regarding coral chip. Personally i have not come across any problem as u mentioned. So far, my experiences tell me that it is fine to have the coral in the tank.

Regarding your filter system, i have some opinion to share. Eheim external filter is perfect for many species, unfortunately, it dont do so well for goldfish.

The reason is that goldfish produce too much waste at one time. And Eheim being a close filter system has little oxygen.

Good bacteria needs a lot of oxygen. While limited oxygen + lots of waste = cultivation of BAD bacteria. Hence resulting bad water = cloudy eyes

AdamC
DOLPHIN
DOLPHIN

Post by AdamC » Thu Apr 02, 2015 8:45 pm

Perhaps you are correct. My aeration is pretty decent running 2 spray bars. Still insufficient DO going into the canisters?

wolverine
Administrator
Administrator

Post by wolverine » Thu Apr 02, 2015 11:42 pm

i cannot provide any proper measurement to illustrate my point.

However, there is one point that leads to my believe. Do touch your Eheim filter box, is it slightly warm?
For my case, it is. When there is an increase of temperature, oxygen reduced.
Hence inside the filter box (pack volume), the temperature would even be higher = to much lower oxygen.
Good bacteria needs a lot of oxygen.

Again in my old threads, for goldfish, i recommend trickle box filtration.
Where there is lots of oxygen.
It is a proven theory, aeration of the water reduced ammonia.
(What media to put in the trickle box is important too)

AdamC
DOLPHIN
DOLPHIN

Post by AdamC » Fri Apr 03, 2015 10:18 am

Trickle filtration system works great but it is unpleasant to look at. :)
In any case, I serviced both canisters yesterday and dropped a bag of 500g CC in the tank. They seem well and lively this AM. Will test the water parameters this afternoon.
Thanks for your advice!

wolverine
Administrator
Administrator

Post by wolverine » Fri Apr 03, 2015 12:13 pm

hahaaha, trickle filtration is ugly and can be noise too.

Thanks for posting in the forum. S
Sharing information between hobbyists really bring back a lot of joys, part of fish keeping!

AdamC
DOLPHIN
DOLPHIN

Post by AdamC » Tue Apr 07, 2015 11:43 am

I have done more research on types of filtration.
Indeed canisters are not the best for GF.
For bio filtration to work best, i.e. High BB activity, high oxygen level is required. This can only be achieved through rapid air-water interface or agitation. Sounds like trickle system to me.
In any case, I'd have to stick to more regular maintenance of the canister + WC.

wolverine
Administrator
Administrator

Post by wolverine » Tue Apr 07, 2015 1:45 pm

i have kept with canister + wc too.
i think it works fine.
Just a rule of thumb, we should not overload the tank with goldfish.

AdamC
DOLPHIN
DOLPHIN

Post by AdamC » Tue Apr 07, 2015 8:20 pm

What is the size and flow rate of your canister?
I have seen some heavy duty ones for pond use. It has a reverse flush capability to purge out all the anaerobic bacteria.

wolverine
Administrator
Administrator

Post by wolverine » Wed Apr 08, 2015 12:11 am

During my time. i used two of the Eheim Pro Series or classic Canister Filter (cannot remember exactly).
But i think now they have much better one.

Maybe you can put your output into a stack of trickle box instead of back to the tank directly.
That would really improve the overall filtration system.

AdamC
DOLPHIN
DOLPHIN

Post by AdamC » Wed Apr 08, 2015 8:39 am

Re-filtering filtered water!? :)
I'd definitely consider but need to find room to stack.
There's already a OHF sitting on top of the tank...