FGT height advise

Inclusive of lighting and plants
bozz6363
TUNA
TUNA

FGT height advise

Post by bozz6363 » Sat May 26, 2018 5:02 pm

Hi guys I’m planning to come back fish keeping after many years break but this time keeping TVR. As I’m customise a fgt of size 2m by 1.2m what is the ideal water level for adult TVR? Cause planning to do a Low profile fgt not too high so if say ideal water height is 10” then probably I’ll just do 12” height for my fgt.
Thanks in advance for any advise👍🏻

wolverine
Administrator
Administrator

Re: FGT height advise

Post by wolverine » Sat May 26, 2018 11:04 pm

For adult Japanese ranchu, about 8 to 10 inches of water level will do.
Do post photo of your new collection. SMILE

bozz6363
TUNA
TUNA

Post by bozz6363 » Sun May 27, 2018 6:51 am

Thanks bro for the advise :) 
cause some were saying can go till 12" water height, and since I'm new to TVR thought will be good to start off from basic correctly 

bozz6363
TUNA
TUNA

Post by bozz6363 » Sun May 27, 2018 7:47 am

hi guys next will be the filter system. Im planning to use a blue water drum as a filter box but now am thinking should i have the water inlet to the drum at the bottom or top?
water inlet from bottom and over flow from top : then most waste will be at the bottom section of the drum which i will have an valve outlet below which i just release the valve once a week to flush out the waste from the filter.
water inlet from the top = trickling water system which cultivate and a good place for bacterial.
BTW im also having a water dripping system coming  from those 3 stages carbon filter 24hr
Again would like to hear from all and learn thanks 

wolverine
Administrator
Administrator

Post by wolverine » Sun Jun 03, 2018 7:02 pm

bozz6363 wrote: Thanks bro for the advise :) 
cause some were saying can go till 12" water height, and since I'm new to TVR thought will be good to start off from basic correctly 
There is no fits rule. Just remember you don't want to have too deep so that the fish will swim more side to side instead of up and down.
As its movement in the water affect it body growths and tail shape.

wolverine
Administrator
Administrator

Post by wolverine » Sun Jun 03, 2018 7:13 pm

bozz6363 wrote: hi guys next will be the filter system. Im planning to use a blue water drum as a filter box but now am thinking should i have the water inlet to the drum at the bottom or top?
water inlet from bottom and over flow from top : then most waste will be at the bottom section of the drum which i will have an valve outlet below which i just release the valve once a week to flush out the waste from the filter.
water inlet from the top = trickling water system which cultivate and a good place for bacterial.
BTW im also having a water dripping system coming  from those 3 stages carbon filter 24hr
Again would like to hear from all and learn thanks 
This is very "big" topic and it is hard to put everything in one post.  There is a lot of important and top skill advise posted in this forum, if you have time, you should run through the old post. They are very valid and useful tips and guide.

Bottom are heavy waste, which you can manually suck them out.
Floating waste are more toxic and you cannot see.

I am a big fan of trickling system. So my choice would be "Inlet from the top" and use trickling system back to the tank.

For trickling, if you build as high as you can, as the higher the system it is more effective.

Finally Note:
There is reason why the Japanese stick on to the traditional way, basic air pump and regular water change...........this cause limit current in the water.  Advance filtration system cause heavy current result a heavy current which affect the fish growth to the desirable Japanese style.

bozz6363
TUNA
TUNA

Post by bozz6363 » Thu Jun 07, 2018 9:34 pm

Thanks bro for all ur kind reply and advise. my set up is almost done and for the filtration current issue im using the valve to control the power of the suction and see how it may help. 

wolverine
Administrator
Administrator

Post by wolverine » Mon Jun 18, 2018 2:20 pm

bozz6363 wrote: Thanks bro for all ur kind reply and advise. my set up is almost done and for the filtration current issue im using the valve to control the power of the suction and see how it may help. 
Do share your settle photo here, if you don't mind. 
Enjoy your fish keeping............