New Fish Product Review

cbrian37
DOLPHIN
DOLPHIN

Post by cbrian37 » Sat Nov 06, 2010 10:45 am

LauLanChu wrote:Image
i bought the sinking type yesterday together with Tetra Ranchu food & a china brand food.it stated 51% protein!the highest i've seen among all pellet food.i mixed with Tetra Ranchu to try it out.

LauLanChu
Former Staff Member

Post by LauLanChu » Sat Nov 06, 2010 5:01 pm

Keep us posted on the results.
LauLanChu

ce2001gf
SHARK
SHARK

Post by ce2001gf » Mon Dec 20, 2010 3:21 pm

LauLanChu wrote:Who has used this gadget for water change, using active carbon to de-chlorinate.
Hi, May i noe where to get tis? Wat do u call this ?

LauLanChu
Former Staff Member

Post by LauLanChu » Tue Dec 21, 2010 12:26 am

Last seen this in Thailand, chatuchat market. Not sure the exact name, it is a siphon with carbon as declorinator.
LauLanChu

ce2001gf
SHARK
SHARK

Post by ce2001gf » Tue Dec 21, 2010 1:01 am

Ok, So SG dun have?

LauLanChu
Former Staff Member

Post by LauLanChu » Tue Dec 21, 2010 11:49 am

So far have not seen one, could be wrong. There should be some other similar product that do the same function, but look may be different.
LauLanChu

jensonchew
QILIN
QILIN

Re:

Post by jensonchew » Tue Sep 17, 2013 10:13 am

LauLanChu wrote:Lately there are people enquire about tank setup. I came across this new Tetra product called AquaArt, an all in one tank setup that came in handy for newbies who want to keep goldfish or other fish as a hobby. Pleasant and cool looking tank setup that incorporated with lighting, filtration, and of different sizes option. Worth the investment if you intend to keep a few fishes for pleasure viewing and as a hobby......
bro LLC, I'm using Classica Paradom Aquarium (30L model) but found it overstocked and reluctant to let go of the GFs to reduce bioload, intending to upgrade the tank to a bigger one so that I can house 6 of them, and maybe increase to 8 or 9 pcs.

By the way, I'm using the Ocean Free New Water Guard, so far so good, less than 1 ml (but I usually make it 1ml or around there but no less) to treat around 22L++ of water (fish and filter took up too much space too).

jensonchew
QILIN
QILIN

Re:

Post by jensonchew » Tue Sep 17, 2013 10:16 am

LauLanChu wrote:Ocean Free product is quite reliable. Not to worry too much. Anti-chlorine different brands don't make much a different. Some people even using the brandless hypo with no problem.
My BB liquid and Aquarium Salt (and the New Water Guard) are all from QH when I visited them with my family slightly more than a month ago. So far seems quite reliable though some brothers from other forums highlight they don't fancy OF products and advised to replace OF with other brands.

Sidetrack, saw 2 bros that afternoon at QH back in August, at discussion corner in front of the Goldfish and Sting Ray zones.

jensonchew
QILIN
QILIN

Re:

Post by jensonchew » Tue Sep 17, 2013 10:21 am

LauLanChu wrote:Beside this there is also the OF XO goldfish food, which is quite good.
I'm feeding my GFs with the black colour can, sinking pellets, I personally find it good, that's why quite ok with products from OF.

LauLanChu
Former Staff Member

Re: New Fish Product Review

Post by LauLanChu » Wed Sep 18, 2013 12:35 pm

Appreciate your feedback. As said so far I have found OF products reliable without much an issue. I use OF medication the most.

For me as for GF keeping w.r.t tank size I also consider manageble aspect. As known GF needs alot of water change to keep them well. Do consider the effort of doing drastic water change for a 3ft tank vs 6ft tank difference. Also is always a misconception that when your tank is bigger you need less water change, especially for GF. E.g. if you want to practice daily water change, you need to do it for all sizes tank, for the GF to thrive.
LauLanChu

jensonchew
QILIN
QILIN

Post by jensonchew » Thu Sep 19, 2013 10:08 am

LauLanChu wrote:Appreciate your feedback. As said so far I have found OF products reliable without much an issue. I use OF medication the most.

For me as for GF keeping w.r.t tank size I also consider manageble aspect. As known GF needs alot of water change to keep them well. Do consider the effort of doing drastic water change for a 3ft tank vs 6ft tank difference. Also is always a misconception that when your tank is bigger you need less water change, especially for GF. E.g. if you want to practice daily water change, you need to do it for all sizes tank, for the GF to thrive.
bro LLC,

I usually practice weekly water change. But I noticed with that much of bioload to sustain until next tank upgrade (hopefully year end or before that), I do water change every 2-3 days, sometime every 2 days, depending on my schedule as I have 2 young kids at home.

I took out a feeder fish bought for my son last month into a bigger guppy tank (not those smallest size plastic tank), but I noticed putting an airstone for it make it swimming tiredly around the tank, which i quickly removed it when I saw it resting at the bottom of the tank. And it began to thrive happily around, but for that tank size without airstone or filter, I have to do daily water change, otherwise I do it together.

I also remove the cory from the main tank since it likes to suck on my goldfishes, as well as increase bioload, as in water condition get worsen once it's introduced back to main tank.

I'm sourcing for 3 ft tank, but not sure whether to have cabinet or put it on the floor of my HDB living room. Trying to play around with budget, as it's never cheap to have a new tank with cabinet (kapor wood or chennai).

I personally prefer That Aquarium over AquaStar as it's more accessible for people like me without car, and That Aquarium is more friendly maybe Aquastar staff is busy.

LauLanChu
Former Staff Member

Post by LauLanChu » Thu Sep 19, 2013 12:05 pm

You living around North area?

Try getting tank with stand or cabinet, do not leave it on the ground as it post hazard. Few pc of my advise. I personally find GF thrive better in pvc or fibre tub, not sure of the reason. Their color more brilliant and better growth especially the wen. If you have a choce go for tub instead of glass tank. I am suspecting unless your tank is coated with algae wall, it post some stress to the fish because of reflective, or the temp flutuate more in tanks compare to tub. Go for a manageble size to ease regular water change (you cannot get away from if you want to keep GF). Having more fish in a reasonable size tank with regular more water change is better than having more fish in a huge tank with less water change. This one you got to believe.

Also if you intended to use air pump, get away with the air stone as it stress the diaphram out and your pump would not last. Try having the tubing with some weight (like lead) at the end so the pump need not pressure through the air stone.
LauLanChu

jensonchew
QILIN
QILIN

Post by jensonchew » Fri Sep 20, 2013 3:18 pm

Yes, bro LLC, I stay in Yishun. Yeah, I'm sourcing for 3 feet tank, 3 feet long, 1.5ft width and 2 ft depth, I've checked with sgBrothers, N30, Tank Maker, and Aquatic Dream so far.

The reason of not getting a tub is due to my wife and the kids who loves seeing fish swimming in the tank and enjoy it rather than viewing it from top of the tub, otherwise I would have go for tub keeping like you and other brothers here. That's also the reason why I started the hobby of goldfish keeping now, haha, from their request of small home aquarium become a bigger tank so as not to stress the fish and keep them longer and healthier, so the whole family can enjoy the fishes better.

Now it has become my hobbies, maybe next time my kids' hobbies too, since they loves fishes a lot (still quite young, eldest only 2 years 2 months).

Another reason not having tub is also being hazardous to kids.

Few more questions to ask, can I only feed my goldfishes with sinking pellets? Wife won't allow keeping frozen blood worm in the fridge, and if feeding peas, where to get and how to prepare it (steamed and peeled?).

Also, does goldfish need to shine with light? The tank came with 2 built-in T5 tubes, with 12k Kelvin.

I wonder it's too hot for them as I shine them for a few hours at night before we sleep.

Sorry to hijack this thread :oops:

LauLanChu
Former Staff Member

Post by LauLanChu » Sun Sep 22, 2013 12:49 pm

Feeding sinking pellet will do, others are just supplement. Remember do not overfeed. Pellets have all the nutrition the fish needs.

I find it difficult to keep GF indoor well. Lights are supplement to sunlight.
LauLanChu

jensonchew
QILIN
QILIN

Post by jensonchew » Sun Sep 22, 2013 11:54 pm

Thanks bro LLC, currently feed them 2 times a day. Morning and night time. Now in the transition of feeding small pellets from current bigger pellets.

I don't have the luxury to keep the tubs under natural sunlight if I intend to keep them in tubs. No balcony ad not staying in landed property.

Even next time keeping ranchu might keep in tanks too as the main purpose is to let the whole family to enjoy the fishes :-p