Earth worms in the diet

LauLanChu
Former Staff Member

Post by LauLanChu » Fri May 22, 2009 12:17 am

chinmo wrote:
Yanto wrote:Apologies for the interject.

Come to think of this, earthworms are natural foods for fish, right.

Actually I want to ask, since we are on the subject to worms, has anybody tried those 'super worms' sold in LFS meant for LH Or the smaller ones, abundant in LBS - local bird shop?

What about maggots? good source of proteins. Just curious.
MW/SW are all too hard for gf imo..... EW is soft and juicy has the highest protein in all feeds. maggots i'm not too sure.... too disgusting to try paiseh
Yes, agreed, feed mill super worms to my GF before, they will eat them, but find it too hard on the body shells. If cut or slice them watery liquid will come out, very messy. As for maggots, where to get, from decompose carcass?
LauLanChu

Jikin14
ANGEL
ANGEL

Post by Jikin14 » Fri May 22, 2009 7:26 am

LauLanChu wrote:
Jikin14 wrote:
Im interest to see what you decide after trying.
Any health or diseases risk feeding earthworm? Decide to hold back after 2nd thought, after Aquarama then give a try as do not wish any unexpected problem.
No none none at all. But a wise decision. You must first feel confident so better to wait, last thing you want is extra worry and stress.

I think you will be doing it next time. :wink:

Nankin, Butterfly moor, Celestial, pearlscale, Jikin

Jikin14
ANGEL
ANGEL

Post by Jikin14 » Fri May 22, 2009 7:26 am

Maggots are not so good I find as the skin can be very tough like chewy leather not sure goldfish can get in. If you snip off the head maybe better but very fiddley.

Fruit flies are good fun for BB fish, kicks in their prey drive and fun for U for a change in routine, extreme clean. http://www.stflies.com/ Probably best if easily available near you.

The ones especially bred without wings are the best you just shake the cup over the water like live flake food. One culture can last a few weeks. The fruit fly medium in the cup where their maggots live until they pupate and crawl up the sides is also sweet smelling I find, like fresh baked bread.

Universities always have suppliers as they are in high demand for studying genetics, there are many thousands of mutants on offer.

Nankin, Butterfly moor, Celestial, pearlscale, Jikin

Yanto
WHALE
WHALE

Post by Yanto » Fri May 22, 2009 12:33 pm

that sounds like a project to me :H , fruit flies cultures. clean and smells like freshly bake bread!!!. Maybe can supercharged with Spirulina or antibiotics, that would be real :Cool , talk about mutants! Thanks for the lead! This is just great man!

Ranchu206
DOLPHIN
DOLPHIN

Post by Ranchu206 » Thu Oct 15, 2009 9:18 am

Well I live in seattle where it rains all the time! So this morning walking to my truck to go to work I was looking on my driveway and saw a bunch of earthworms! Never fed to my fish before, but heard of the benefits earthworms have! So i ran inside got a cup and started picking them up, I must of picked up like 50 of them! So what I did was kinda squeeze all if not most of dirt out cut it up in short segments and started feeding! And did my goldies come alive!! at first i tried putting the whole worm in the tank the fish attacked it but couldn't bite any chunks off. so then i cut it up and they gobbled them down! Now i have a bunch of fresh worms ready to be fed to my fish! Oh yeah i was late to work about an hour LOL because feeding was so crazy it was amazing!!

I have a quick question:
How many time a week or day could I feed earthworms? Is it a staple for gold fish?

LauLanChu
Former Staff Member

Post by LauLanChu » Thu Oct 15, 2009 11:18 am

Not very sure about earthworm because I don't have the luxury. I believed it being normally fed as supplement because of its availablity, but also no harm feed as main. If it is good, try feed as much as you can, that's what I think.
LauLanChu

fd3s
NYMPH
NYMPH

Post by fd3s » Thu Oct 15, 2009 11:27 am

Earthworms are easily digested, and a good source of protein. I used to know someone who said earthworms are the number 1 food for goldfish, and he had huge goldfish. But he had a garden to dig from.

You can see from their poo that it's really good food for them. :H

wolverine
Administrator
Administrator

Post by wolverine » Fri Oct 16, 2009 1:21 am

fd3s wrote:Earthworms are easily digested, and a good source of protein. I used to know someone who said earthworms are the number 1 food for goldfish, and he had huge goldfish. But he had a garden to dig from.

You can see from their poo that it's really good food for them. :H
Yes, earthworms is good. :)

Ranchu206
DOLPHIN
DOLPHIN

Post by Ranchu206 » Sun Oct 18, 2009 3:54 am

Earthworms Are great!!! This is what i cultivated from my driveway and on top of the dirt around my house! I threw in some Hikari Lionhead food so the worms can eat it. I thought id rather have them eat pellets instead of dirt, so its like feeding both pellets and earthworms. well its an experiment! Image
does anybody know how to keep them alive? I have them in a plastic container with some paper towels soaked in aquarium water? opinions pls!

Ranchu206
DOLPHIN
DOLPHIN

How to serve?

Post by Ranchu206 » Sun Oct 18, 2009 3:58 am

Oh yeah I was also surfing the site this morning and i saw somebody saying freezing them first? I was wondering if the worms are better for the fish Live or frozen?

LauLanChu
Former Staff Member

Post by LauLanChu » Sun Oct 18, 2009 12:08 pm

Proabably can get some answer from the web search. Earthworm I supposed they live in earth, it not their living would be shorten.
LauLanChu

Anonymous

Post by Anonymous » Sun Oct 18, 2009 3:43 pm

You can keep them for weeks in moist wood shavings.

Some people put them in coarse corn meal for a day-or-so to purge the gut.

I just rinse them off, freeze them in a block and save them up for the spawning season. When needed, pieces are shaved off the block with a butcher knife and fed to the fish.

You can buy earthworm flakes but it does not work as well as the real thing.

-steve

Ranchu206
DOLPHIN
DOLPHIN

Post by Ranchu206 » Mon Oct 19, 2009 3:17 am

Thanks Steve &llc!
Steve I was wondering what are the benefits of earthworms during spawning season? And is it ok for an everyday protein?

Anonymous

Post by Anonymous » Mon Oct 19, 2009 4:08 am

I don't know why, but it makes fish spawn.

Earthworm is good, but you can have too much of a good thing. A varied diet is better.

-steve

LauLanChu
Former Staff Member

Post by LauLanChu » Mon Oct 19, 2009 8:52 am

How come not available in LFS?
LauLanChu