Unorthodox Feeding Routine

LauLanChu
Former Staff Member

Unorthodox Feeding Routine

Post by LauLanChu » Wed Jan 13, 2010 1:51 pm

Anyone has tried this method of feeding, alternating between heavy feeding and no feeding. Means to say one day you do aggressive feeding of many meals a day, and the next day you totally stop feeding. In other words only feed on every other day. Some people claimed that this method of 'jerk' feeding would 'spike' the growth, much faster then we feed heavily everyday, and more healthy and give the fish a better shape and profile. Give more time for the fish to empty the gut, assimilate the nutrients and rest and ready for the next intake of food. Worth a try.
LauLanChu

traders
PHOENIX
PHOENIX

Re: Unorthodox Feeding Routine

Post by traders » Wed Jan 13, 2010 2:01 pm

LauLanChu wrote:Anyone has tried this method of feeding, alternating between heavy feeding and no feeding. Means to say one day you do aggressive feeding of many meals a day, and the next day you totally stop feeding. In other words only feed on every other day. Some people claimed that this method of 'jerk' feeding would 'spike' the growth, much faster then we feed heavily everyday, and more healthy and give the fish a better shape and profile. Give more time for the fish to empty the gut, assimilate the nutrients and rest and ready for the next intake of food. Worth a try.
Lim's 7x24 kao hoon seems to work just fine :)

LauLanChu
Former Staff Member

Post by LauLanChu » Wed Jan 13, 2010 2:56 pm

That would be costly and too much, stomach too big and water foul easily.
LauLanChu

crossback
JEDI
JEDI

Re: Unorthodox Feeding Routine

Post by crossback » Wed Jan 13, 2010 9:22 pm

LauLanChu wrote:Anyone has tried this method of feeding, alternating between heavy feeding and no feeding. Means to say one day you do aggressive feeding of many meals a day, and the next day you totally stop feeding. In other words only feed on every other day. Some people claimed that this method of 'jerk' feeding would 'spike' the growth, much faster then we feed heavily everyday, and more healthy and give the fish a better shape and profile. Give more time for the fish to empty the gut, assimilate the nutrients and rest and ready for the next intake of food. Worth a try.
u tried b4...?

^RaCe
FAIRY
FAIRY

Post by ^RaCe » Wed Jan 13, 2010 11:25 pm

actually i realise when providing them 24/7 of tubifex, they will eat slowly n grow more evenly than the way i'm feeding now. even the faeces look more healthy, long n continuos! Now when fed at intervals, they simply gobble up eventhing that they can get. this is when thier tummies get big, as if they r gonna explode. of cos, with the 24/7 tubifex, must really take care of the water.

This is just my observation from my limited experience. anyone have other views?

LauLanChu
Former Staff Member

Post by LauLanChu » Thu Jan 14, 2010 2:42 pm

24/7 is kind of unorthodox. Normally people would think goldfish are greedy animal and would overeat till they fall dead. In contrary if you feed good food (live food maybe) 24/7, it would be more like a natural process in the wild that the fish will eat till they got enough and leave the uneaten for the next day (provide the live feed still stay alive and fresh). However, we cannot use this practice on man made pellets, as sooner or later you bound to get into some problem.
LauLanChu

nygold
DRAGON
DRAGON

Post by nygold » Thu Jan 14, 2010 8:28 pm

Anyone has tried this method of feeding, alternating between heavy feeding and no feeding. Means to say one day you do aggressive feeding of many meals a day, and the next day you totally stop feeding. In other words only feed on every other day. Some people claimed that this method of 'jerk' feeding would 'spike' the growth, much faster then we feed heavily everyday, and more healthy and give the fish a better shape and profile. Give more time for the fish to empty the gut, assimilate the nutrients and rest and ready for the next intake of food. Worth a try.
I don't know about this LLC maybe if you have a fish that's growth is starting to slow. With all the variables that contribute to growth it hardly seems worth it. I don't see gaining that much growth from this alternative method that also seems a bit risky. Lastly it border lines being cruel. I don't think the stuff and starve method is for me.

alexp
DRAGON
DRAGON

Post by alexp » Fri Jan 15, 2010 1:41 am

I believe and used it myself to let fish to be without food once in a while. I have noticed fish do much better this way. I won't recommend this method for tropical fish but GF is different due to appetite and shape of body and constant pressure that organs have to stomach due to genetically engineered body shape. Fish should not starve meaning going a week with no food but no food over weekends are just fine. I have not tried this every other day, perhaps someone could try this and provide some feedback. Fasting will allow fish digestion system to rest, same principle goes to human, many doctors prescribed this in almost all countries in the world.
I Hope helped by sharing, Alex.
ImageImage

LauLanChu
Former Staff Member

Post by LauLanChu » Fri Jan 15, 2010 12:18 pm

HNLim wrote: So! Can you recommend me some thing better?
Probablty daily alternating between live feed, green feed and pellet feed.
LauLanChu

LauLanChu
Former Staff Member

Post by LauLanChu » Fri Jan 15, 2010 1:51 pm

Encounter this feeding method to grow a jumbo:-

"If you could agree to feed this R/W Jumbo breed Oranda, twice a day for 15 minutes each time daily for 50 days, then fast the fish for 10 days, then continue as same for another 50 days, then fast the fish for 10 days; then you come this Sunday to select one piece - the shortest body but must be broad in the body structure to raise.

Bring back the fish in four months time, and if the fish fails to grow to 50% bigger in length, you can have the fish for free."

http://www.myfishforum.com/gold-fish-fo ... ept-3.html
LauLanChu

nygold
DRAGON
DRAGON

Post by nygold » Fri Jan 15, 2010 8:31 pm

"If you could agree to feed this R/W Jumbo breed Oranda, twice a day for 15 minutes each time daily for 50 days, then fast the fish for 10 days, then continue as same for another 50 days, then fast the fish for 10 days; then you come this Sunday to select one piece - the shortest body but must be broad in the body structure to raise.

Bring back the fish in four months time, and if the fish fails to grow to 50% bigger in length, you can have the fish for free."
I'm not doubting the method it's the information.
How big is the fish to start? If it's a little 2 or 3 inch fish you better get
more than 50% in 4 months. Oranda grow fast and I suspect jumbo's grow even faster. Now if your taking a 6 or 7 inch fish and adding 50% now your on to something.