Frozen Blood worms...

black
DOLPHIN
DOLPHIN

Frozen Blood worms...

Post by black » Thu Jul 29, 2010 8:41 pm

Recently i asked abt the flies tat have been breeding in my tank & found out tat it is cause by the frozen blood worms...
My next question: is there any types of FBW selling in the LFS tat will not cause the unconsumed FBW to turn into those flies as i found it really a sore to the eyes when they keep flying in the tank... Hope someone can answer my stupid question & also some FBW product as example... Thanks... :H

chtan23
MARLIN
MARLIN

Post by chtan23 » Thu Jul 29, 2010 10:02 pm

Why not just feed lesser and make sure the fish finish it?

LauLanChu
Former Staff Member

Post by LauLanChu » Fri Jul 30, 2010 11:45 am

FBW are dead.
LauLanChu

Fish
SHARK
SHARK

Post by Fish » Fri Jul 30, 2010 6:57 pm

Black.

Don't think this is the cause. Mine started long before I fed my GF with FBW. I used to feed only pellets and recently added FBW. Still have the same problem but the numbers getting less. Thanks.

black
DOLPHIN
DOLPHIN

Post by black » Sat Jul 31, 2010 2:40 pm

Then wat's the cause for tis flues to be in the tank... I can see tat they do breed in my tank... Any ways to get rid of them...?

black
DOLPHIN
DOLPHIN

Post by black » Mon Aug 02, 2010 11:50 pm

HNLim wrote:
black wrote:Then wat's the cause for tis flues to be in the tank... I can see tat they do breed in my tank... Any ways to get rid of them...?
You can put a fine mesh over the top of the tank. This will prevent the fly from flying into your tank to lay its eggs. But then again, why want to get rid of a good think? One of the reason why goldfish kept outdoor tendsw to grow faster is because they have plenty of insects and natural bloodworms to eat 24/7.
Will I get into problems when the NEA personnel come for their routine checks for mosquito...?

LauLanChu
Former Staff Member

Post by LauLanChu » Tue Aug 03, 2010 12:06 pm

HNLim wrote:
black wrote:
Will I get into problems when the NEA personnel come for their routine checks for mosquito...?
Yours is a fly not NEA's enemy.
Is that the reason why we no more seeing live BW nowadays, got banned?
LauLanChu

crossback
JEDI
JEDI

Post by crossback » Tue Aug 03, 2010 5:09 pm

LauLanChu wrote:
HNLim wrote:
black wrote:
Yours is a fly not NEA's enemy.
Is that the reason why we no more seeing live BW nowadays, got banned?
that have to ask ava

gary1234
DOLPHIN
DOLPHIN

Post by gary1234 » Tue Aug 03, 2010 5:11 pm

Frozen bloodworm are not all totally dead. Belive me. I had saw some come back to life when I defrost them. ( Depend on the brand )

Anyway I still continue to feed my TVR. My TVR like it and I see good effects to their growth.

LauLanChu
Former Staff Member

Post by LauLanChu » Tue Aug 03, 2010 5:27 pm

gary1234 wrote:Frozen bloodworm are not all totally dead. Belive me. I had saw some come back to life when I defrost them. ( Depend on the brand )
Really, probably they hibernate. Surprise being soaked in fomalin still alive.
LauLanChu

Backslash
HERO
HERO

Post by Backslash » Tue Aug 03, 2010 5:35 pm

gary1234 wrote:Frozen bloodworm are not all totally dead. Belive me. I had saw some come back to life when I defrost them. ( Depend on the brand )

Anyway I still continue to feed my TVR. My TVR like it and I see good effects to their growth.
Come alive after defrost? Sound scary man!! :oic
ImageImageImageImage

Xema Romero
TUNA
TUNA

Post by Xema Romero » Tue Oct 26, 2010 1:29 am

Even in the case of the FBW are still alive, they can not complete their cycle in a fish thank due to they are needing a bottom layer of decomposed organic matter. As every kind of diptera, after the stage of worm (or larvae) they will need go to the stage of chrysalis, and this stage it stay swimming into the tank, becoming in a sweet candy for your fish, and in the other hand, FBW is a kind of moskito larvae. So I can pretty sure the flies can not come from FBW.

But there is a flies family named Psychodidae, which breed on wet organic matter. I have seen their larvae growing on the edge of my tanks, feeding the algae layer on the wall of my pools.

They looks like...

Really looks like a thini moth.

But there are look of species of flies which like to breed on wet stuff.
Looking for good ranchu genetics in a dirty pool...

LauLanChu
Former Staff Member

Post by LauLanChu » Tue Oct 26, 2010 11:10 am

LauLanChu