Prolong Daphnia and Tubiflex Longevity

Red
TUNA
TUNA

Prolong Daphnia and Tubiflex Longevity

Post by Red » Sun Jul 31, 2011 2:59 pm

Could anyone advise the routine you go through to keep them alive overnight? If it is simple water change, do you just use simple tap water? How frequent and do you put a filter with bio-filtration? i.e. do you need a separate tank set-up for these live food supplies?

noxdan
TUNA
TUNA

Post by noxdan » Sun Jul 31, 2011 5:43 pm

Just to share.

I put them in a plastic container with air stone, filled with aquarium water. Before i go to sleep, I will change the water, again with aquarium water and put in a some ice to cool down the temperature. I find the survival rate is a lot higher with ice cool temperature.

Backslash
HERO
HERO

Post by Backslash » Mon Aug 01, 2011 2:39 pm

Yeah, I also see LFS uncle uses airstone to keep the worm alive.
ImageImageImageImage

Red
TUNA
TUNA

Post by Red » Mon Aug 01, 2011 11:45 pm

Thanks. What about Daphnia? How do you change water? I bought one pack of Daphnia, they all died overnight. What is worse is, my 14 fries followed within a day (all perished last night). Don't think I will be touching live feed for a while.

Jikin14
ANGEL
ANGEL

Post by Jikin14 » Thu Jan 05, 2012 1:53 pm

Red this is awful. Live food sometimes carries diseases that is fatal for fry, only brine shrimp are reliably safe.

Having said that I dont know any other way to get large amounts of fry growing and big without using daphnia, at least until they will take baby pellets. Dry food is not the same.

Frozen daphnia if available might be a better thing to use, some brands guarantee its clean.

If you do use live its better to take from the wild where daphnia live but there are no fish. You migh get the odd predator which you can remove but there wont be any fish parasites or diseases.

Nankin, Butterfly moor, Celestial, pearlscale, Jikin