Freeze Dried Food

kiwisugar
MARLIN
MARLIN

Freeze Dried Food

Post by kiwisugar » Sun May 10, 2015 4:17 am

Hi, I am new, I have oranda.
What is the opinion of freeze dried foods.
We in NZ not able to get many foods and items you can.
Only dried tubeaflex worms here, stay dry in club for long long time. what think?

kiwisugar
MARLIN
MARLIN

Re: Freeze Dried Food

Post by kiwisugar » Sun May 10, 2015 4:20 am

Thanks
I been reading forum many many times for advise over the years.
Find really interesting things specially about fry, products, go back to read and can never find again lol

CarpCharacin
Administrator
Administrator

Post by CarpCharacin » Sun May 10, 2015 2:29 pm

Moved to Food and Products.

Hinfin
SHARK
SHARK

Post by Hinfin » Thu Jul 09, 2015 2:04 am

Hi Kiwisugar,

Where i live i have the same problem, i cannot source a good quality controlled source of FBW. Freezedried BW are, like pellets, a dried foor and are IMHO totally different then wetfoods like FBW, gelfood etc.

You can study the internet on essential proteines for goldfish to make yourself farmiliar with the needs the fish have. There is alot of information on essential amino acids for goldfish and this is very interesting to read. As a good substitute for FBW i would suggest canned tuna or salmon in water. If you prepare it as a gelfood with veggies and supplements you could also add freezedried BW. The reason why i do so is to up the level of essential aminoacids, if you investigate you will fing gelatine(pure proteine) has only little nutricional value to GF.

Allthough i have read stellar reports on feeding just canned tuna, i was not impressed with growth results from the spawn of ranchu i fed my own tuna based gelfood to during one season. Also bioaccumulation of heavy metals can be an issue with predatory fish, googleseach for that aswell if you want to know.

Next up dry foods, just feeding pellets. To me it boils down to the quality of fishmeal in those pellets. I feed a program of 'cold water commercial growers' at the moment, i use those that smell 'fresh' and at best like 'sea'. I have good results with this, maybe even better then the hikari line which i have used for many years. This is a personal matter though, Hikari works great for the fish, but is too expensive in my country and the probiotics/chemical adds cause mayor problems in green water(GW).

Just my 2cents, freezedried BW DO make a nice treat for the fishies though!

kiwisugar
MARLIN
MARLIN

Post by kiwisugar » Sun Sep 06, 2015 4:21 pm

Hi Hinfin

This year I have tried to make my own pellets, I studied a lot to know how, high quality fish meal and ingredients, and learnt how to know exact protein content and of other ingredients etc
I only had a mincer and tried slow cook/ quick cook and dehydrator and flake food
My fish loved the taste but I haven't been able to make hard enough so it stays together properly for a long time and doesn't cloud the water

Just another experiment to work on

Hinfin
SHARK
SHARK

Post by Hinfin » Tue Sep 08, 2015 11:27 pm

I dont see the point in making my own pellet food, i have made and exclusively fed my own gelfood for a year or so and still do to add veg and vitamin-mineral boost to the fish diet. Gelfood versus pellets has the advantage that it is wet food like FBW and such, it is easier on their digestive tract. I now use agaragar instead of gelatine, downside is that gelfood with agar cannot be frozen and gelatine based gelfood can. There is also a pea and egg recipe i use but this pollutes the water alot.

I use alot of sinking grower pellets for young koi mixed with saki hikari pellet(green, purple, lionhead), some sinking wheat germ based pellets and my own made wetfoods. IMHO, pellets are without doubt the best for good growth and least water pollutance. Again important, even with commercial pellets, is to get them fresh and keep them in your refridgerator. There is a whole book one could write about GF digestion and 'bad gutload'.

kiwisugar
MARLIN
MARLIN

Post by kiwisugar » Sat Sep 19, 2015 5:59 pm

Do you feed straight out of fridge or leave out some and feed that.

Hinfin
SHARK
SHARK

Post by Hinfin » Sun Sep 20, 2015 1:12 am

Usually just from the fridge but if i feed from the freezer i do thaw the cubes.

It seems no big deal to feed frozen food directly though but the few times i did it took pretty long for the cubes to thaw.

numbertwo
MARLIN
MARLIN

Post by numbertwo » Sun Sep 20, 2015 12:28 pm

I prefer to thaw the cube and stir mixed with FBS first before feeding the hungry bunch. Reason is if i throw in the frozen cube.. it won't be spread evenly for all the fishes, some larger fish would have gobble down the cubes at some stage..