Ryukin has strange behaviour

fantails
MARLIN
MARLIN

Ryukin has strange behaviour

Post by fantails » Thu Jan 21, 2010 8:19 pm

Hi. i was wondering why would my Ryukin have this strange behaviour of head down and head up. I also was wondering about the color change from pale to a black color.

Ryukin 10 gal QT tank regular color.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a46zR988o9k

Ryukin 40 gal color change.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EUl39oX68V0

The ryukin started to change colors only after I put him into the 40 gal.

LauLanChu
Former Staff Member

Post by LauLanChu » Fri Jan 22, 2010 11:29 am

If your ryukin is not swimming properly, likelihood it has swim bladder problem. It is either inborn due to non proportional body size and fins or triggered by improper upkeep.
Fish colour change can be genetic nature or triggered by water parameters or temperature. A complicated thing to understand sometime.
LauLanChu

fantails
MARLIN
MARLIN

Post by fantails » Fri Jan 22, 2010 7:30 pm

LauLanChu wrote:If your ryukin is not swimming properly, likelihood it has swim bladder problem. It is either inborn due to non proportional body size and fins or triggered by improper upkeep.
Fish colour change can be genetic nature or triggered by water parameters or temperature. A complicated thing to understand sometime.
What would be a good way to take care of that swim bladder problem?

I appreciate the advice. Thanks Mike

LauLanChu
Former Staff Member

Post by LauLanChu » Fri Jan 22, 2010 10:11 pm

No permanent cure, just feed more green and don't overfeed. Best is to refrain from pellet feed totally.
LauLanChu

Spacefish
SHARK
SHARK

Info

Post by Spacefish » Sun Jan 24, 2010 11:45 pm

Hi Mod,
Could you recommend the food that Goldfish should be fed since you mentioned that pellet food be refrained totally? Tks :)

LauLanChu
Former Staff Member

Post by LauLanChu » Mon Jan 25, 2010 12:06 pm

Live feed and green food like pea, spinard or seaweed. Soft fruits like papaya may also help.
LauLanChu

Spacefish
SHARK
SHARK

Info

Post by Spacefish » Mon Jan 25, 2010 1:18 pm

Hi Mod,
Thanks for the info. Could you give some examples of live feed. Would frozen Blood worm be considered as live feed? Tks :)

LauLanChu
Former Staff Member

Re: Info

Post by LauLanChu » Mon Jan 25, 2010 2:01 pm

Spacefish wrote:Would frozen Blood worm be considered as live feed? Tks :)
Yes, worms...those soft live feed.
LauLanChu

Tonkaholics
QILIN
QILIN

Post by Tonkaholics » Mon Mar 15, 2010 11:18 am

Hallo.... hope your Ryukin is still doing ok...

Try reducing the water level for a while say a week or 2 and see if that helps. If the fish is suffering from a swim bladder problem, sometimes reducing water level helps to relieve the water pressure on him. You can also try adding a little aquarium or seasalt to the water (if u haven't already) since it also relieves osmotic pressure on the fish.

ryukin888
WHALE
WHALE

Post by ryukin888 » Wed Mar 24, 2010 1:13 am

Ya, Ryukins are very sensitive. Sometimes I get tempted to feed them more and then on or two of them will start acting strange.

One of them lost balance recently, I put it in a floating basket and no feeding for a couple of days. It recovered, fortunately.

I keep mine in green water and now I feed them now only once a day sparingly.

Hope your fish gets better soon. But, turning black is a different problem, that ammonia burn,you need to check your water chemistry.

Cheers
Ryukin888

Tonkaholics
QILIN
QILIN

Post by Tonkaholics » Thu Mar 25, 2010 12:12 am

ryukin888 wrote:Ya, Ryukins are very sensitive. Sometimes I get tempted to feed them more and then on or two of them will start acting strange.

One of them lost balance recently, I put it in a floating basket and no feeding for a couple of days. It recovered, fortunately.

Hope your fish gets better soon. But, turning black is a different problem, that ammonia burn,you need to check your water chemistry.

Cheers
Ryukin888

I do the same... I don't feed too much. once every 2 days. They look none the worse for eating once every 2 days anyway... tummies still fat-fat. My current 4.5 year old Ryukin & my old 4 year old Ranchu (this one passed away 2 months ago) have always been kept on a once every 2 day meal. Of course it's not a guarantee for anything.. but like human beings... overeating, being too fat are all not good for the body. Same with fish.

LauLanChu
Former Staff Member

Post by LauLanChu » Thu Mar 25, 2010 12:13 pm

Eating not enough will not grow.
LauLanChu

Tonkaholics
QILIN
QILIN

Post by Tonkaholics » Thu Mar 25, 2010 1:22 pm

Yes, definitely need to a strike a balance between stuffing the fish and allowing the fish to eat optimally. My 4 yr old ranchu went from 3.cm to a nice 13.5cm over 4 years, so I think that's fine. But of course different people have different feeding routines with different goals in mind.

Personally I find that stuffing or allowing the fish to eat to the point that it has difficulty swimming or is no longer agile is a form of cruelty. Just like farmers stuffing geese daily so that people can get foie gras. Nono.

ryukin888
WHALE
WHALE

Post by ryukin888 » Fri Mar 26, 2010 1:25 am

Tonkaholics wrote:
ryukin888 wrote:Ya, Ryukins are very sensitive. Sometimes I get tempted to feed them more and then on or two of them will start acting strange.

Cheers
Ryukin888

I do the same... I don't feed too much. once every 2 days. They look none the worse for eating once every 2 days anyway... tummies still fat-fat. My current 4.5 year old Ryukin & my old 4 year old Ranchu (this one passed away 2 months ago) have always been kept on a once every 2 day meal. Of course it's not a guarantee for anything.. but like human beings... overeating, being too fat are all not good for the body. Same with fish.
Hmm, no lah I feed mine at least once daily, sometimes I give them an extra meal.

My ryukins have been with me about 9months, they are probably around 1- 1.5 years old. Still growing.

My Veiltail is the one that overturns once in a while, I think partially is balancing the long tail.

Cheers
Ryukins888

LauLanChu
Former Staff Member

Post by LauLanChu » Fri Mar 26, 2010 10:43 am

Ryukin you need to do very careful controlled pumping, not to cause undergrowth as well swimming problem.
LauLanChu