Calico
No votes

Total votes: 6

bodyboarder04
UNICORN
UNICORN

SAKURA OR NOT SAKURA

Post by bodyboarder04 » Sun Sep 05, 2010 2:16 am

Here i have some of my current 4 month old fry and they are looking like Matt fish (like their mother) but i have been kindly told by an experienced fish keeper in GK that they are sakura as sakura are Fish like Calico but with no hint of blue or black in them..

Searching for Good quality fish in Europe!!
Breeding Ryukins to improve the Breed found in Spain

bodyboarder04
UNICORN
UNICORN

Post by bodyboarder04 » Sun Sep 05, 2010 1:24 pm

So far one no and one Unsure LOL No one else wish to comment on the subject?? or is it boring :bored ..

:oic

LauLanChu
Former Staff Member

Post by LauLanChu » Sun Sep 05, 2010 2:06 pm

They do have some reflective scales, but you can generally called them sakura. Sakura does not have a strict criteria.
LauLanChu

bodyboarder04
UNICORN
UNICORN

Post by bodyboarder04 » Sun Sep 05, 2010 5:07 pm

Hello Laulanchu,
Well strictly in my humble and probably misguided opinion i would have used the Term Matt scaled as the fish a generally Orange or White and orange and have some reflective scales on them.. but these days they call matt fish with metalic scales Sakura.. Sakura is japaneses for Cherry blossom, ( I may be mistaken here) so should not a sakura fish be of white and red or pinkish colouration??
This terms are usually later used for similar Matt fish regardless of colour then??
And what do you think of this fish Laulanchu??
this are the second generation of youngsters from the original cross of my Red Chinese fish and the not so good calico, The best daughter in this batch has been crossed back to her farther and hence the chinese bloodline is at the moment a 75% in them.. I think they are far better than both the calico and the Matt red/white females so should i cross back to the Red chinese male or outcross to one of my Other Males

bodyboarder04
UNICORN
UNICORN

Post by bodyboarder04 » Sun Sep 05, 2010 5:12 pm

here goes a video of the fish a month younger its not great but we can see them swimming and they look good in my opinion

one of the fish is metallic like his dad ( Red& white male by the looks of it).

LauLanChu
Former Staff Member

Post by LauLanChu » Mon Sep 06, 2010 1:15 pm

To me sakura is a matt red/white. Can't called a calico sakura though sometime you can find sakura in a batch of calico.

They are decent youngs. If can improve on the tail spread will be better. In or out crossing depends on what you trying to achieve.
LauLanChu

bodyboarder04
UNICORN
UNICORN

Post by bodyboarder04 » Tue Sep 07, 2010 1:14 am

Hello HNLim
In the first place Yes i do know that the Sakura name is just another fancy name to market the fish at higher prices LOL :haha :haha
And rightly so as they have to keep pushing fish and making everything about them more Attractive.. So I will stick to the Propagandistic and flambouyant name of SAKURA :haha

Hi Lau Lan Chu, yes in fact this fish come from a Calico decendant so strictly not 100% Sakura but looking just like the Sakura fish in several videos i have seen.. The tail spread is poor as the father/grandfather ( same fish) is a ST Ryukin and the Grand mother was a Fringetail, and the Mother a Tail inbetween.. The females had poor tales so need to cross out to better tailed fish, like my Chocolate/white ryukin. My aim is to get a nice all round ST Ryukin and as near to the Chinese standards as possible..

ferdi
DOLPHIN
DOLPHIN

Post by ferdi » Wed Sep 08, 2010 11:16 pm

i think sakura is just naming for scale-less goldfish...
but generally sakura is used for naming scale-less goldfish with 1 or 2 colors...
calico in indonesia is naming for goldfish that have 5 colors...
for me calico is the part of sakura because they are including to scale-less goldfish...

ferdi
DOLPHIN
DOLPHIN

Post by ferdi » Wed Sep 08, 2010 11:52 pm

HNLim wrote:
ferdi wrote:i think sakura is just naming for scale-less goldfish...
but generally sakura is used for naming scale-less goldfish with 1 or 2 colors...
calico in indonesia is naming for goldfish that have 5 colors...
for me calico is the part of sakura because they are including to scale-less goldfish...
If I am not mistaken, calico must have the blue colour. The more the merrier.
yes, i've heard that...maybe the blue color is for complete the other colors...white, red, black, yellow, and blue or grey...
now a day many refraction for calico meaning...actually i dont know details about real calico...

bodyboarder04
UNICORN
UNICORN

Post by bodyboarder04 » Thu Sep 09, 2010 2:45 pm

Hi Fredi,
yes i agree with you in part, as Calico must have more than three colours on it and hence it must be a Matt fish ( scaless as you call them is not accurate as they do have scales but these do not shine and are just translucid) one of the colours that should be present is the Black pigment , which should not be present in Sakuras at all. this pigment is the main one to give Black spots or areas on a fish, the greys and the blues too.., My fish once they started to change colour as they grew up lost the black pigment very early, becoming orange and white within the first two months of age..

So with this conclusion i agree with you totally HNLim calicos should be as varied in colours and as uniform in spread of this colours as possible.. all this on a white background so the fish has an interesting colour pattern..

ferdi
DOLPHIN
DOLPHIN

Post by ferdi » Thu Sep 09, 2010 9:16 pm

bodyboarder04 wrote:Hi Fredi,
yes i agree with you in part, as Calico must have more than three colours on it and hence it must be a Matt fish ( scaless as you call them is not accurate as they do have scales but these do not shine and are just translucid) one of the colours that should be present is the Black pigment , which should not be present in Sakuras at all. this pigment is the main one to give Black spots or areas on a fish, the greys and the blues too.., My fish once they started to change colour as they grew up lost the black pigment very early, becoming orange and white within the first two months of age..

So with this conclusion i agree with you totally HNLim calicos should be as varied in colours and as uniform in spread of this colours as possible.. all this on a white background so the fish has an interesting colour pattern..
xixixixixi...yes, matt fish...sorry that's what i mean...i didnt found the right word for that meaning...bad english... paiseh paiseh paiseh

bodyboarder04
UNICORN
UNICORN

Post by bodyboarder04 » Thu Sep 09, 2010 9:47 pm

Oh No need to Apologise, your English is good and we can comunicate!! I know see what you really ment and i understand .. thanks for being such a Gentleman Ferdi, ( hope that you are not a Lady my apologise if its so)

ferdi
DOLPHIN
DOLPHIN

Post by ferdi » Sat Sep 11, 2010 6:46 am

thx bro bodyboarder 04... :H

ferdi
DOLPHIN
DOLPHIN

Post by ferdi » Thu Sep 16, 2010 7:01 pm

friends, i have aryukin to share here...
what about this fella'?
what type is she?

here is the video link...
http://s897.photobucket.com/albums/ac17 ... V07537.mp4

wolverine
Administrator
Administrator

Post by wolverine » Thu Sep 16, 2010 7:37 pm

There is a big market for Calico golfish.
In fact, the art of calico appreciation is yet to be flourished compared to what has been documented in China goldfish history.

i do urge breeder to look into this market seriously.

Calico appreciation is about painting the fish with 5 colours:
Red, Yellow (orange), White, Black and Blue.
The art of appreciation would be slightly different from the rest of the varieties, the main focus is the colour combination.

If you don't mind, i would share my understanding from the documented criteria that i have been thought.

* Blue, how far deep inside the layer of black that allows it to reflects a 'SKY' blue.
* Black, the right amount of Black that evenly spread around the body without making the fish look 'dirty'
* Red, nice red patch at the right area of the fish
* Yellow, perfect size yellow patches to complement one red patch.
* White, clear distinct white portion to separate from blue portion

And it didn't stop here.
For different pattern it has different variation of names.
Example they have the 'blue base calico' as the name implies the base colour is base, and 'white base calico', 'cloud pattern calico', 'mudan calico' etc.... and the harder the pattern to produce the higher the value.

There is proper Chinese name for these variation pattern, but i'm a lousy student, i cannot remember the names.

And to get everyone excited, if i may make a bold remark here, i have yet to see a 'True' quality calico outside ... .... (errr........ i chicken out, i dare not complete the line........hahahaa)