My calico Dragon Eye

LauLanChu
Former Staff Member

Post by LauLanChu » Wed Feb 11, 2009 9:32 pm

Wolverine,
Correct me if I am wrong. From my understanding of your explanation a weak tail fish will back paddle to keep the balance and open tail. A strong tail fish no need to do so to keep balance and swim thrusting forward. Similar to TVR, a good butterfly is also a good swimmer.
LauLanChu

wolverine
Administrator
Administrator

Post by wolverine » Thu Feb 12, 2009 12:47 am

bekko wrote:The full red butterfly is very nice. It does not take much imagination to see the butterfly shape. The body is thin for a telescope but maybe it is still young.

-steve
Yes, it was a young fish then, the photo was taken when it first arrived Singapore from China. So it tends to be on the slim side.
:) :) :)

wolverine
Administrator
Administrator

Post by wolverine » Thu Feb 12, 2009 1:05 am

LauLanChu wrote:Wolverine,
Correct me if I am wrong. From my understanding of your explanation a weak tail fish will back paddle to keep the balance and open tail. A strong tail fish no need to do so to keep balance and swim thrusting forward. Similar to TVR, a good butterfly is also a good swimmer.
Hi LLC,
'Weak' or soft-bone tail fish will swim normal like any other fish, the photo was taken at the instant when the fish happened to be back paddling. Like what steve said, through that photo, a soft bone tail dragon eye could be easily mistaken as a fully spread hard-bone tail, butterfly.
:) :wink:

A quality butterfly means strong, hard-bone tail (or stiffness of the ray). Such fish would surprisingly swim pretty well. May not be a fast swimmer, but definitely a good swimmer. However, the different shapes of tails have certain degree in affecting the swim.

Hope, i answered to your queries and not confuse you further.
paiseh

Anonymous

Post by Anonymous » Thu Feb 12, 2009 2:58 am

I think of top-view dragon eye as swimming more like tosakin than TVR. Tosakin are not good swimmers, but when kept in an appropriate container that does not matter because we appreciate them for their beauty, not their athletic ability. A tosakin bowl works very well for keeping top-view dragon eye too.

-steve

LauLanChu
Former Staff Member

Post by LauLanChu » Thu Feb 12, 2009 12:14 pm

I guess for this sort of fancy tail fish is also not encourage for them to swim too much, so it is better to keep in small space in restriction, right?
LauLanChu

Anonymous

Post by Anonymous » Thu Feb 12, 2009 3:10 pm

That is my opinion too. However, I do not have enough experience with butterfly tail to say for sure.

-steve

wolverine
Administrator
Administrator

Post by wolverine » Fri Feb 13, 2009 1:33 am

In my opinion, it is not the space that is so much of a concern, it is more the water current, the water has to be as still as possible. Once they reached adulthood, some current is okay.

crossback
JEDI
JEDI

Post by crossback » Fri Feb 13, 2009 10:55 am

wolverine wrote:In my opinion, it is not the space that is so much of a concern, it is more the water current, the water has to be as still as possible. Once they reached adulthood, some current is okay.
so must actually keep WC more often....

LauLanChu
Former Staff Member

Post by LauLanChu » Fri Feb 13, 2009 12:41 pm

They live without areation?
LauLanChu

wolverine
Administrator
Administrator

Post by wolverine » Fri Feb 13, 2009 1:04 pm

i kept them in a standard tub with a overflow system, the water is pumped back into the tub at very slow rate.

So disturbance only occurs on the surface of the water. Out of 5, two turned out to be a prize winners.

crossback
JEDI
JEDI

Post by crossback » Fri Feb 13, 2009 4:53 pm

wolverine wrote:i kept them in a standard tub with a overflow system, the water is pumped back into the tub at very slow rate.

So disturbance only occurs on the surface of the water. Out of 5, two turned out to be a prize winners.
for simple home keeing..i'm using sponge filter..but the air pump at low...so very light disturbance on the surface also ok??

LauLanChu
Former Staff Member

Post by LauLanChu » Fri Feb 13, 2009 5:21 pm

Not okay, zero water movement.
LauLanChu

wolverine
Administrator
Administrator

Post by wolverine » Sat Feb 14, 2009 1:17 am

crossback wrote:
wolverine wrote:i kept them in a standard tub with a overflow system, the water is pumped back into the tub at very slow rate.

for simple home keeing..i'm using sponge filter..but the air pump at low...so very light disturbance on the surface also ok??
Whatever, system you use, always keep in mind that slight surface disturbance is ok, but any thing that create current below the water surface is no, no.
:sad

LauLanChu
Former Staff Member

Post by LauLanChu » Sat Feb 14, 2009 1:51 am

In this case a submerge powerhead is definitely a NO.
LauLanChu

clm2206
WHALE
WHALE

Post by clm2206 » Sat Feb 14, 2009 3:24 am

LauLanChu wrote:In this case a submerge powerhead is definitely a NO.
I do use a powerhead in my GW pond instead of an air pump, but it is pointed upwards and I've attached a plastic tube to allow overflow above the water surface.