Eye of Dragon

wolverine
Administrator
Administrator

Eye of Dragon

Post by wolverine » Thu Feb 26, 2009 2:04 am

Jikin14 wrote:Yea the bigger moors often have a milkiness over the eye. I have to say in regard to fishes well being and health I've never been taken very much with the globe eyed fish except for the celestial who for some reason has relatively healthy eyes if they are not overly large, same with bubble eyed fish.
i strongly think there is a big mis-conception of globe eyed fish (dragon eye) that they have bad eye sight and get milky 'naturally' as they grow old.

i have saw with my very eyes big hand-size dragon eyes picking up pellet as fast as Oranda and their eyes are sharp and clear! To me, it is the matter of breeding the right strain and good gene. Unfortunately, most commercial dragon eyes are not of such quality strain.

With these said, i also must comment that for 'this' quality dragon eyes mentioned, their eyes' protrusion is not very big.

neo
Senior Moderator
Senior Moderator

Post by neo » Sun Mar 01, 2009 9:22 pm

I think ,according to my past experience the bigger their eyes the weaker they are.Also the black colour tend to be weaker than the orange one

sincerely

LauLanChu
Former Staff Member

Post by LauLanChu » Mon Mar 02, 2009 9:09 am

neo wrote:Also the black colour tend to be weaker than the orange one

sincerely
Oh is that true, I thought the conventional moor mostly are in black colour and they are quite tough.
LauLanChu

neo
Senior Moderator
Senior Moderator

Post by neo » Mon Mar 02, 2009 10:20 am

LauLanChu wrote:

sincerely
Oh is that true, I thought the conventional moor mostly are in black colour and they are quite tough.
Yes, the black colour one is very fussy about the water quality.They prefer clear water keeping than green water.But do not generalize .
This is according to my experience, maybe other member have different story

denny

clm2206
WHALE
WHALE

Post by clm2206 » Mon Mar 02, 2009 1:03 pm

neo wrote:
LauLanChu wrote:

sincerely
Yes, the black colour one is very fussy about the water quality.They prefer clear water keeping than green water.But do not generalize .
This is according to my experience, maybe other member have different story

denny
Agree with you denny, CW is much better than GW for a nice charcoal black. Black tends to become yellowish/greenish and dull in GW.

LauLanChu
Former Staff Member

Post by LauLanChu » Mon Mar 02, 2009 2:22 pm

clm2206 wrote:
Agree with you denny, CW is much better than GW for a nice charcoal black. Black tends to become yellowish/greenish and dull in GW.
May not change the colour, but become mattish with a layer of mouldy stuff coated on surface.
For the very stringent charcol black ranchu of Thai (not any single other colour allowed or visible), their water has to be cleared all the time. If you put them in GW, you asking for trouble.
LauLanChu

LauLanChu
Former Staff Member

Post by LauLanChu » Sat Apr 04, 2009 10:34 am

Good to have such size?
LauLanChu

Anonymous

Post by Anonymous » Sat Apr 04, 2009 5:22 pm

I have several dragon eye bloodlines. One group has large eyes (but not as large as yours) and long bodies. The other has smaller eyes and shorter/deeper bodies. I like the small eye with short body bloodline.

Your fish looks like it may also a long body.

-steve

LauLanChu
Former Staff Member

Post by LauLanChu » Sat Apr 04, 2009 6:08 pm

IMO balance is the most important, unusual big or small will look weird.
LauLanChu

wolverine
Administrator
Administrator

Post by wolverine » Sun Apr 05, 2009 1:34 am

LauLanChu wrote:IMO balance is the most important, unusual big or small will look weird.
Chinese retired, not commerical breeders that i know, all love dragon-eye with slight protruding eyes and DEFINITELY not big eyes.

Jikin14
ANGEL
ANGEL

Post by Jikin14 » Sun Apr 05, 2009 10:03 am

I agree smaller eyes are better, any extreme is going to interfere with the goldfish to live a healthy life. Sharp clear eyes like a chameleon good in my opinion.

Funny I also think black moor very tough fish, always last to get disease and easy to keep black and grow, I suppose it depends on the strain. Flat belly, long body, heavy eyes not good in my opinion. Same like celestial but this goes with long tail too, not healthy.

Nankin, Butterfly moor, Celestial, pearlscale, Jikin

LauLanChu
Former Staff Member

Post by LauLanChu » Sun Apr 05, 2009 11:20 am

Guess is not necessary big is better, unlike alot of other things.

How about odd shape eyes, guess it attacts because of uniqueness. Repost pic from archive.
Help to post other shapes and sizes eyes of dragon if you have, wish to have a compilaton here.
LauLanChu

wolverine
Administrator
Administrator

Post by wolverine » Tue Apr 07, 2009 2:40 pm

LauLanChu wrote:Guess is not necessary big is better, unlike alot of other things.

How about odd shape eyes, guess it attacts because of uniqueness. Repost pic from archive.
Help to post other shapes and sizes eyes of dragon if you have, wish to have a compilaton here.
To satisfy the market needs, in China there are many different shapes of protruding eyes this is one of them. But these fish are not demanding outside China.

crossback
JEDI
JEDI

Post by crossback » Mon May 11, 2009 6:01 pm

this dragon eye's eye acceptable?? the size?
or too small?

LauLanChu
Former Staff Member

Post by LauLanChu » Mon May 11, 2009 8:58 pm

Eye size a bit small to my liking.

Something unique about this fish, the tail.
Last edited by LauLanChu on Tue May 12, 2009 11:09 am, edited 1 time in total.
LauLanChu