Eye of Dragon

Dragon_eye
TUNA
TUNA

Post by Dragon_eye » Thu Apr 08, 2010 3:32 am

fd3s wrote:
LauLanChu wrote:Noted, thks.
amazing, LLC.

would the dragon be a chinese dragon, or a western style dragon? they have different eyes, you know? :Party

Sorry, couldn't resist.
Good point! I know nothing about the chinese dragon, but how would you differentiate the iris types? I suppose if nobody cares about being specific, then they all can be called dragon eyes.

paiseh
"Beauty is in the eye of the beholder, and sometimes it may be necessary to give a stupid or misinformed beholder a black eye".

wolverine
Administrator
Administrator

Re: dragon eye specifications

Post by wolverine » Tue Apr 13, 2010 10:38 am

Dragon_eye wrote:just as all goldfish are fish, but not all fish are goldfish. I feel the same about telescope eye and dragon eye goldfish.

telescope eyes just mean they protrude from the head. globe eyes mean they protrude more like a globe than a common telescope.

dragon eyes should look like the eye of a dragon. why else would you call them that?
Hi Dragon_eye, i wish i can tell you that 'dragon eye' goldfish actually mean something unique. BUT the fact (in my contact), dragon is just a term used by the Chinese for protruding eye goldfish, while the American uses the term 'telescope' and the British uses 'Globe'.

However, the quantity of the eye shape, colour and more importantly health are a 'lost' appreciation art.

The iris has nothing to do with the term 'dragon eye', but it shows alot whether the fish has a pair of health eyes or not, which is one main way of determining the quality of the fish.

This is just what i learned. Please do feel free to share your thoughts, we can learn from all these questions. Thanks.

Dragon_eye
TUNA
TUNA

Re: dragon eye specifications

Post by Dragon_eye » Wed Apr 14, 2010 1:03 am

wolverine wrote:
Dragon_eye wrote:
Hi Dragon_eye, i wish i can tell you that 'dragon eye' goldfish actually mean something unique. BUT the fact (in my contact), dragon is just a term used by the Chinese for protruding eye goldfish, while the American uses the term 'telescope' and the British uses 'Globe'.

However, the quantity of the eye shape, colour and more importantly health are a 'lost' appreciation art.

The iris has nothing to do with the term 'dragon eye', but it shows alot whether the fish has a pair of health eyes or not, which is one main way of determining the quality of the fish.

This is just what i learned. Please do feel free to share your thoughts, we can learn from all these questions. Thanks.
I do agree that the quality of the goldfish produce different eye patterns, however, how can you ignore the coincidence that certain terms describe certain formations. If you live in China, do all goldfish with protruding eyes look like they have a dragon's eye? I know in America, I have some that have telescope looking eyes and some have dragon looking eyes. Still others have eyes that form almost a complete sphere on their heads that look like globes. There are big differences in these eye types although they all protrude from the head.

I had a house guest the other day and he said that in his country, They have tons of goldfish like mine and they were cheap. He pointed at my Japanese tosakin. I'm sure he was talking about fantail goldfish, but to him they all look the same. I think to untrained eyes, all demekin goldfish types have been classified into one big class because people do not take the time to identify them. That is just my opinion and I realize that hobbyists today accept that all protruding eye goldfish are dragon eyes, but I feel it is a disservice to the name.
"Beauty is in the eye of the beholder, and sometimes it may be necessary to give a stupid or misinformed beholder a black eye".

LauLanChu
Former Staff Member

Post by LauLanChu » Wed Apr 14, 2010 6:02 pm

Guess is just a matter of further differentiation and segregation. Alot of people do not have the time or knowledge to do that yet, or the bloodline not stable enough to be further classified as a seperate breed yet. We do have celestial eyes that are differentiated from telescope eyes, and that is a distinct characteristic and perhaps a firm enough breed to be given another name.
LauLanChu

wolverine
Administrator
Administrator

Post by wolverine » Mon Apr 19, 2010 6:17 pm

When come to different shape, i agree with you that there is a "sub-name" for it, but in general it is still a dragon eye for all protruding eyes goldfish. Just my opinion. SMILE

Dragon_eye
TUNA
TUNA

Opinions of dragon eyes are welcome!

Post by Dragon_eye » Sat Apr 24, 2010 4:30 pm

I understand that all fish with protruding eyes are referred to as dragon eyes. I hope through this discussion there is a move towards standardization and a new appreciation for the dragon eye. I've started to write an article on this subject matter and I would like your opinions.

Sometimes I can stare at my tank for hours. My friends call me crazy, but I suppose that could be interpreted as passion. paiseh

http://aquafriend.webs.com/

sorry I chose this web domain because it's a free site that I can publish my work, I'm not trying to create a new forumImage

LauLanChu
Former Staff Member

Post by LauLanChu » Sun Apr 25, 2010 12:57 am

When cornea is white, the fish is blind. It is unheathy. Similar to bubble eyes where the bubble gel can easily turns whitish due to infection in bad water, when DE with whitish eyes mean it has been kept in bad husbandary before. It is not an eye type.
LauLanChu

Dragon_eye
TUNA
TUNA

Post by Dragon_eye » Sun Apr 25, 2010 1:37 am

LauLanChu wrote:When cornea is white, the fish is blind. It is unheathy. Similar to bubble eyes where the bubble gel can easily turns whitish due to infection in bad water, when DE with whitish eyes mean it has been kept in bad husbandary before. It is not an eye type.
LOL! yes please do not consider unhealthy fish with a bad eye a different eye type. If a goldfish acquires pop eye from bad water quality it is not a DE.
White or cloudiness in the cornea or pupil are signs of bacterial infection or perhaps an eye fluke.

I'm confused with your statement LLC. is there an instance where I noted a white cornea as an eye type?
There are a few other pages that have attempted to differentiate eye variants. http://www.exoticgoldfish.net/breeds-telescope.html

LauLanChu
Former Staff Member

Post by LauLanChu » Sun Apr 25, 2010 1:47 am

Sorry, maybe I misunderstood you. Got mislead by the fish pic in your website with a whitish eyes which I thought you mean something.

BTW your site is interesting. Thanks for sharing.
LauLanChu

nygold
DRAGON
DRAGON

Post by nygold » Sun Apr 25, 2010 5:52 am

Dragon_eye you have a cool web page.
I just recently got into dragon eyes I have 1-panda 1-tri color and 2-blue.

Dragon_eye
TUNA
TUNA

Dragon eyes

Post by Dragon_eye » Sun Apr 25, 2010 1:14 pm

Thank you for the kind words. LLC, I now see that some of the graphics on my page may show whitish eyes but that is the reflection of the flash. All the pictures I used are of my very own fish and I'm not as good a photographer as a professional one.

nygold, that's awesome! I wish they had panda DE's in the USA but they're extremely rare.

LauLanChu
Former Staff Member

Post by LauLanChu » Sun Apr 25, 2010 10:34 pm

I read your site, you did explain that white eye is bad.
LauLanChu

^RaCe
FAIRY
FAIRY

Post by ^RaCe » Sun Apr 25, 2010 11:26 pm

Hi Dragon_eye, I noticed this pic n description of this puppet in ur site.

Chinese dragon in a parade.

Its actually a Lion or a kirin. Not sure if goldfish eyes have any association with this mythical creature.

Maybe you wanna change to this for a better illustration?
Not sure if u like this pic, try googling for "dragon dance" for more pics

Hope this help.

BTW, very nice website u have.

LauLanChu
Former Staff Member

Post by LauLanChu » Mon Apr 26, 2010 11:11 am

Yes, the pic in your site is a lion of lion dance.
LauLanChu

Dragon_eye
TUNA
TUNA

lion dragon

Post by Dragon_eye » Mon Apr 26, 2010 1:54 pm

Thanks Guys!
Shame on me for not knowing much about my heritage. My grandfather was chinese but i've been in the USA all my life. Your input is much appreciated. Please don't hesitate to give criticism or suggestions I need help from people with more experience than I have with goldfish and about publishing websites.