Answers to general queries about American Hobbyists

LauLanChu
Former Staff Member

Answers to general queries about American Hobbyists

Post by LauLanChu » Tue Feb 19, 2008 11:02 am

Since the article from American Judge Peter Ponzio has been posted up.
There are some regular questions from many local hobbyists.
Here are some of the answered the Club has learned from our American hobbyists... ...

(1) What varieties do most Amercian like?
The most popular fish right now appears to be the Ryukin
Next in popularity are Ranchus and Orandas
(2) Colours and patterns are important to American judging standard?
Color is more important than pattern, since patterns are not as fixed as on koi

(4) Do they have new varieties of goldfish beside those found in Singapore?
We don't have many new varieties ? probably the newest is the short-fin Ryukin

(5) Where do they get their fish from, China?
Believe it or not, most come from Thailand (Gunn Chukasul, Fish Corner), followed by China, then Japan

:)
LauLanChu

pijulrs

Re: Answers to general queries about American Hobbyists

Post by pijulrs » Fri Feb 22, 2008 12:56 am

LauLanChu wrote:Since the article from American Judge Peter Ponzio has been posted up.
There are some regular questions from many local hobbyists.
Here are some of the answered the Club has learned from our American hobbyists... ...

(1) What varieties do most Amercian like?
The most popular fish right now appears to be the Ryukin
Next in popularity are Ranchus and Orandas
(2) Colours and patterns are important to American judging standard?
Color is more important than pattern, since patterns are not as fixed as on koi

(4) Do they have new varieties of goldfish beside those found in Singapore?
We don't have many new varieties ? probably the newest is the short-fin Ryukin

(5) Where do they get their fish from, China?
Believe it or not, most come from Thailand (Gunn Chukasul, Fish Corner), followed by China, then Japan

:)
IMHO,I do found in the website that station in US that most of their champion gfs are not nice like asian region Champion.Weird coz they got mainly stock from Thailand and the standard low compare to asian region like Thai,Malaysia and SG.Also their price for the import one are super ex compare to the quality they get.Do you noticed about it bro :)
Im a fish kichi...

LauLanChu
Former Staff Member

Re: Answers to general queries about American Hobbyists

Post by LauLanChu » Fri Feb 22, 2008 10:44 am

pijulrs wrote: IMHO,I do found in the website that station in US that most of their champion gfs are not nice like asian region Champion.Weird coz they got mainly stock from Thailand and the standard low compare to asian region like Thai,Malaysia and SG.Also their price for the import one are super ex compare to the quality they get.Do you noticed about it bro :)
Agree, probably due to many exchange of hands and filtering, and the tax and charges involved.
LauLanChu

wolverine
Administrator
Administrator

Post by wolverine » Fri Feb 22, 2008 3:06 pm

For this case, that's why it is good to share our goldfish hobbyist with the rest of the world.

Or perhaps, they have a certain way of appreciation that you and me have not learned?

i really look forward to learn from them too!!! :)

Anonymous

Post by Anonymous » Mon Mar 10, 2008 2:49 am

Greetings! I am an avid goldfish hobbyist & amateur breeder in the usa. I would like to share my perspective:

The vast majority of goldfish in the usa are from China. Perhaps tens of millions of goldfish are imported each year for the pet trade. These fish are found in huge corporate pet-marts, department stores and some local pet shops. The quality tends to be low, with severely distorted tails on 1 out of 10 fish. The types I see are: ryukins, orandas, black moors,fan tails, comets, afew celestials, afew bubble eyes (bent back nearly always). These stores supply the uneducated masses. The average price is $5-20 usd. I will look at these fish when a new batch arrives because rarely I will find a hidden gem.

Better quality Chinese imports can be found at family-owned pet shops, and these fish tend to be reasonably priced. Good quality Chinese can be found thru specialty suppliers like goldfishnet.com, but these tend to be rather expensive, and are usually adult fish. Many, many varieties are available at this level. I think the best quality are kept in Asia. Here is when ranchu become available, as well as other types like hamanishiki.

Thai fish seem to be around more and more these days, but my knowledge in this department is limited. I have only seen them through specialty online dealers, and there seems to be a wide range of quality. When you talk about Gunn at Fish Corner, goldfishconnection, goldfishnet, and dealers like this, they are supplying a very small group of goldfish hobbyists, who live throughout the usa. It takes a special appreciation to spend $100 on one fish, then it might cost $30-50 to ship the thing. Good quality ranchu seem to be coming in from Thailand recently

Even with high prices, the quality of champion fish is low compared to what you guys see. It is interesting to compare the presentation of the fish, too. When I look at the pictures of your City Cup, wow, well that's a completely beautiful and contemporary presentation. Goldfish shows around here are visually boring, look at my nearest show, at the bottom of the page: http://www.nwkg.org/new_page_4.htm
Horrible lighting, bad background, low quality specimens. It's safe to say that goldfish appreciation in the usa is in it's infancy. No, I do not think the americans have a certain way of appreciation that leads us towards the champions that you see. I think we're just working with what's available.

Japanese fish are nearly impossible to get here. Part of the problem might be this: Japanese business has an ancient tradition of respect and dignity. The american way is plop down a stack of money and say "I want really good quality." There is no respect there. Maybe we will learn one day. However, the good news is that I was able to obtain 6 high quality Oishi ranchu in '05. I see your club has many fans of Mr. Oishi. I look forward to learning from the members here.

wolverine
Administrator
Administrator

Post by wolverine » Mon Mar 10, 2008 11:04 am

Dear GlassGoldfish,

Thank you so much for sharing these information about American goldfish hobby. There were a lot of interesting information that i have learned from your posting.

Hope to hear from you more!

cheers!

LauLanChu
Former Staff Member

Post by LauLanChu » Mon Mar 10, 2008 12:45 pm

Hi, GlassGoldfish,
Welcome to this forum Thanks for the great insight of Goldfish hobby in US. I have learned alot too. :!:
The Americans have been the leader and in the forefront in alot of things, and I am quite sad that they are lagging in the Goldfish hobby. Perhaps there is not enough focus and emphasis being put into this field and I hope that things can improve.
In consolation we are very fortunate to be in this cyber world century that we are able to share things with people living miles apart. Cheers :!:
LauLanChu

chochiss
Former Staff Member

Post by chochiss » Tue Mar 11, 2008 10:18 am

GlassGoldfish,

My warmest welcome! Hope to learn more & share more experiences together with you here! :)
keeping beauties more alive

LauLanChu
Former Staff Member

Post by LauLanChu » Thu Apr 03, 2008 5:53 pm

Note that Fynnmood club is promoting a US book Spike! Any interested party, please contact our club. :)

http://www.americangoldfish.org/new_pag ... 121111.htm
LauLanChu