KOI craze

This folder discusses about the rest of the goldfish varieties (Bubble Eye, Celestial eye, Wakin, Jikin, etc ...)
wolverine
Administrator
Administrator

KOI craze

Post by wolverine » Wed Jan 20, 2010 2:55 am

Dear koi hobbyists, kindly advise me on the following queries:

* All question are base on 3-4 inch koi *

(1) If a asagi does NOT have any red pigment on the abdomen and pectoral fin, will it have when it grows bigger?

(2) Kohaku with red pigment on the tail, is this considered a big fault in term of koi comp standard?

(3) Does these red pigment on the tail disappear as they grow older?

(4) What are the categories or classes for All Japan koi show competition?

(5) Any good photo of a good kikusui, hariwake and kujaku?

(6) Beside the big 5 (Kohaku, Snake, Showa, Utsuri, Asagi/Shusui), which is the next popular varieties to keep, would one recommend me?

(Koi is definitely not an oddball, in fact, it is the oppose. Koi is one of the most popular fish among fish hobbyists.
But i couldn't find a good folder to put my posting so i decided to post it in this folder... ... dear moderator, kindly move this post to the appropriate if necessary)

LauLanChu
Former Staff Member

Post by LauLanChu » Wed Jan 20, 2010 12:19 pm

I moved it to Other Appreciation.
LauLanChu

wolverine
Administrator
Administrator

Post by wolverine » Thu Jan 21, 2010 1:34 am

Hi LLC, i thought 'Other Appreciation' is for other kind of 'GOLDFISH' varieties? How about addition the word 'KOI' to the 'ODDBALL' folder title?

Any koi hobbyists can help me on my above questoins?

hermanto
NYMPH
NYMPH

Post by hermanto » Fri Jan 22, 2010 1:40 pm

Well seems that nobody will answer these questions. This might prove that goldfish hobbyists are very dedicative in rearing goldfish - no flirting with koi :)

My Pa keeps low grade koi just for fun. I myself do not. But I like to read books on koi only to get some understanding applicable to goldfish. Among your questions, I can only answer with surety only number 2: there should be no red pigment at all in the tail. So, I conclude that red pigment in the tail is a serious fault for them.

Maybe some logical guesses with question no 1 and 3: the red and white pattern on koi is pretty much fixed early. Only the black color can grow, like in Showa. But I never heard even in showa that the red can develop into a rich pattern. The only occasion that the red is growing is when it is stainted by the color enhancer food, and the result is never considered good. So, I don't think that asagi with no red color will develop that color later on naturally, except for few stain from color enhancer food. And I don't think red pigment in the tail can disappear if the pigment is more than little dots. But that's just guessing, not based on experience or solid information :)

Fishyboy
FAIRY
FAIRY

Re: KOI craze

Post by Fishyboy » Fri Jan 22, 2010 5:23 pm

wolverine wrote:Dear koi hobbyists, kindly advise me on the following queries:

* All question are base on 3-4 inch koi *

(1) If a asagi does NOT have any red pigment on the abdomen and pectoral fin, will it have when it grows bigger?

(2) Kohaku with red pigment on the tail, is this considered a big fault in term of koi comp standard?

(3) Does these red pigment on the tail disappear as they grow older?

(4) What are the categories or classes for All Japan koi show competition?

(5) Any good photo of a good kikusui, hariwake and kujaku?

(6) Beside the big 5 (Kohaku, Snake, Showa, Utsuri, Asagi/Shusui), which is the next popular varieties to keep, would one recommend me?

(Koi is definitely not an oddball, in fact, it is the oppose. Koi is one of the most popular fish among fish hobbyists.
But i couldn't find a good folder to put my posting so i decided to post it in this folder... ... dear moderator, kindly move this post to the appropriate if necessary)
Is there any ways to differentiate a taiwanese koi from a jap koi? Thanks

wolverine
Administrator
Administrator

Post by wolverine » Sat Jan 23, 2010 2:54 am

Hi hermento, thanks for writing. i enjoy reading your opinion. That's what make fish keeping fun. Sharing and learning together.

If i'm not wrong nick: Bekko (steve) are good in koi, hope he would read this and share some of his experience.

Any koi lover out there that like to talk about koi??........... :)

Fishyboy
FAIRY
FAIRY

Post by Fishyboy » Sat Jan 23, 2010 12:27 pm

wolverine wrote:Hi hermento, thanks for writing. i enjoy reading your opinion. That's what make fish keeping fun. Sharing and learning together.

If i'm not wrong nick: Bekko (steve) are good in koi, hope he would read this and share some of his experience.

Any koi lover out there that like to talk about koi??........... :)
Me! I love koi! Im currently keeping two kohaku koi, 1 nidan and the other is a 1 step. Im currently hunting for a nice baby showa koi. Any tips on where to find it? Pls post wat ur favourite variety of koi is! Thanks!

wolverine
Administrator
Administrator

Post by wolverine » Sun Jan 24, 2010 3:06 am

i'm hunting for baby sanke and showa too. If you see them please keep me posted. Also looking for Asagi. THanks.

My collection list:
* Kohaku
* Sanke
* Showa
* Utsuri
* Bekko
* Asagi/Shusui
* Kormomo
* Hikari-muji-mono (white / matsuba)
* Hikari-moyo-mono (Kujaku / Hariwake / Kikusui)
* Kawarimono (Goshiki / Ochiba / Kumonryu)

Fishyboy
FAIRY
FAIRY

Post by Fishyboy » Sun Jan 24, 2010 8:31 am

Pls post of a kohaku koi! I wanna see it. I will post mine too but pls dont laugh at them, mine have no quality. Thanks!

Fishyboy
FAIRY
FAIRY

Post by Fishyboy » Sun Jan 24, 2010 9:12 am

Here are some pics of my baby nidan japanese koi. Dont know if it's really a japanese koi. I bought in QH i paid a higher price for it as it was labeled "japanese koi". But i read from another source that japanese koi have bigger eyes than taiwanese koi. My koi with the two step pattern have bigger eyes than the single step pattern koi. If this is indeed true, i was cheated for my single step koi as i bought both the kois under the name "japanese koi" Luckily i find the nidan koi nicer than the single step koi.

Now, my one and only pic of the single step koi:

The faults with the nidan koi is that the colour spreads over his eyes and there is a stain in the pectoral fin.

The faults with the single-step koi is that the colour spreads over his eyes, the colur spreads over the pectoral fin and that only a few of his fins are left unstained.

Pls feel free to comment! Thanks!

wolverine
Administrator
Administrator

Post by wolverine » Tue Feb 09, 2010 12:29 am

CALLING for koi experts and experience hobbyists or anyone!!!

My koi are losing its scale. i suspect it is parasite, so medicated the tank.

Question:
(1) How do i tell that the parasite is wipe out?
(2) How long would the fish recover?
(3) Would these lost of scales leave scar?

Worst, after the medication, the koi start to show a sunken form between the nose and the eye. (Like sick discus)
(4) What causes this?
(5) Is this bad, any hope?

ps. Hi Fishboy, next time you go koi hunting, we can go together......hahaa... remember to study hard. Study hard get a good job, good job gets good pay. Good pay can woo a good girl easier. A good girl becomes your wife, she allows you to keep fish. With understanding wife and good income you can keep all the fish in the world, if you like........hahahaa...... SO STUDY HARD, ok? :) :) :)

LauLanChu
Former Staff Member

Post by LauLanChu » Tue Feb 09, 2010 11:45 am

wolverine wrote:
ps. Hi Fishboy, next time you go koi hunting, we can go together......hahaa... remember to study hard. Study hard get a good job, good job gets good pay. Good pay can woo a good girl easier. A good girl becomes your wife, she allows you to keep fish. With understanding wife and good income you can keep all the fish in the world, if you like........hahahaa...... SO STUDY HARD, ok? :) :) :)
Haha, is this the advise you give to your kids?
LauLanChu

traders
PHOENIX
PHOENIX

Post by traders » Tue Feb 09, 2010 12:51 pm

LauLanChu wrote:
wolverine wrote:
Haha, is this the advise you give to your kids?
Haha then my wife is a good girl. She allow me to keep fish, though not ALL the fish in the world ;)

LauLanChu
Former Staff Member

Post by LauLanChu » Tue Feb 09, 2010 5:34 pm

How about she allow you to keep but still grumble and pick a quaral when in bad mood.
LauLanChu

^RaCe
FAIRY
FAIRY

Post by ^RaCe » Tue Feb 09, 2010 5:53 pm

my wife also let me keep fish. but cannot let her know the price of the fish! :disagree